Friday, October 26, 2018

Thinking about Kurt Friese, Kim and all of the Friese family.

Robin and I have known Kurt and Kim Friese  since they first opened Devotay. At the time, we owned a store down the street from the restaurant. The whole neighborhood came together and formed a business association called the Northside Martkeplace.

Kurt would often show his love for people and for organizations he cared about by cooking for them. Potlucks in the Board office were fun with Kurt around. Less than two weeks ago he cooked BBQ for all the Democrats and Presidential candidates. When I told him how good the BBQ was he said he loved doing it and wanted to make it an annual tradition.

Kurt and I shared a love of cycling and the Cubs. Every day he would keep me up to date on when pitchers and catchers report and what Cubs had done what. He had an app that had a countdown to the second on when spring training would start.

Kurt was smart and he was engaged in local, national and world issues. I never knew him to ever hear of a topic he didn't want to know more about. He researched everything and would often tell me about world happenings. Kurt cared about issues, but he cared about people more. He always wanted to help people. He was passionate about local foods, LGBTQ civil rights, cycling, conservation, mental health and so much more.

Kurt was the Captain of the County NAMI Walk team and he was working on a plan to have every Johnson County employee go through mental health first aid training. He said that knowing what others go through and how to respond would help every employee.

Kurt loved his wife and children with every soul of his being. He would show me pictures, tell me about Kim's travels for work and tell me about his children. I'm so very sorry for Kim and the kids. He also loved this really cute dog named Archie. I always loved when Archie stopped by the office. I can't even imagine what they are going through.

I know Kurt's family and friends local and across the country will be telling lots of great stories about Kurt. I'll just say, he was always kind to me and everyone I saw him with, he was passionate, he was an activist, he was thoughtful and smart. The County is devastated and in shock. We are going, I am going, to miss Kurt Friese. Please hold Kurt and his family in your light and know life is fragile. Please love deeply, care deeply, tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment