Saturday, March 24, 2018

#NeverAgain #MarchforOurLives #BlueWave

Today was County Convention Day for Democrats in Iowa. We also had a big blizzard come through our area. All this was happening during the #MarchforOurLives events around the Country and World.

The Johnson County Democrats had 241 people brave the blizzard to make it to a rural high school, Liberty High, that didn't have plowed parking lots. There was a lot of #bluewave energy at Convention. It was an honor to be allowed to address the convention and ask for their votes.

I left the convention for a bit to drive back to Iowa City for the March for Our Lives. The young people of Johnson County had hundreds of people join them. I would estimate the crowd at around 1,000. There was so much passion, determination and energy during the march and rally. They certainly have given me hope. I feel good that these kids know that voting is the way to win.

My spouse, Robin Butler, and I got stuck leaving convention and getting back, both in the Liberty High parking lot. The roads were passable and I thank all the public employees out there working hard to get the roads open.  I'm reminded that all those that disparage public and union workers still get clear roads, ambulances, fire and police.

After the County Convention, I watched some of the young people speaking across the country and was torn between cheering them and crying about how badly we adults have failed them when they are not safe at school, church, a movie, a bar or a concert.

Then I clicked on a link to the Facebook page of Steve King of Iowa. He had posted some memes making fun of the kids that survived the shootings. I read a few other NRA nutty comments and was starting to get irritated. In Robin's normal wisdom, she said they must be scared of these young people.

All that brings me to remembering Jeanne Torrens. Jeanne was a friend from the League of Women Voters. She believed in social justice and civil rights. She was very active in her faith and the state and national conferences. Jeanne was dying of cancer and I hadn't talked to her in a while. This was around 20 years ago and I was discouraged by the pace of gaining LGBT civil rights in Iowa. Jeanne called and asked me to come for a visit. While I was there, she said she had something to say to me. She said that I should be encouraged by how mean and vocal people were towards LGBT civil rights. Her voice was quiet and I said I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood you. She said no you did not, the louder they are and the more intolerant they become means you are winning. If they weren't afraid of you, they would be ignoring you.

I've been an activist basically since birth. I have watched and been a part of many movements. Jeanne was and is absolutely right, if the other side is attacking you and getting louder, then you are winning.  If they aren't afraid of you winning they simply ignore you.

To all the young people and their allies that marched today, I salute you. You (we) have the attention of the Country and the NRA is afraid of you. You know how to win. Demand action and vote anyone out that doesn't fight to make it happen.












No comments:

Post a Comment