Friday, April 13, 2018

Trails, did someone say a two new trails?

I am by nature an impatient person when it comes to getting things accomplished. I see a road that needs fixed, I want it done now. I see a trails plan, I'm excited to get out there and ride it. Roads, bridges and trails take a lot of planning and often involve multiple funding streams. We create five year planning documents to prepare. I'm a big supporter of planning and preparing for budget impacts from capital projects. Planning for capital needs is one of my favorite things to do in my job. Financial reports and budgets are my all-time favorite, but planning is a close second.

Ten or eleven years ago, I was appointed to serve on the Johnson County Trails Advisory Committee. I was chair of that committee until I became a Supervisor. It is safe to say that everyone has been planning the Hoover Trail for a long long time. The Solon to Ely trail section has started and we anticipate it will be a two summer project. The Mahaffey Bridge Trail had to wait a few years for the availability of the federal grants Johnson County had secured. Mahaffey Bridge trail is now under construction and should be finished this year.

These photos may not look like much, but to me they make me smile. I see recreation, nature watching, biking, hiking, exercise, tourism and a whole lot of quality of life about to happen in these areas. The County and Cities of Johnson County are really coming together on trail development and tying it all together.

I'm impatient to get out and ride these new trails.



No comments:

Post a Comment