Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Some thoughts about the Primary Election


Some thoughts about the Primary Election:

Thank you to Mike Carberry for his service to the people of Johnson County. The County has worked on a number of very exciting progressive projects and initiatives the past few years and Mike was a part of these accomplishments.
Congratulations to Pat Heiden. Pat has been running for Supervisor for several years and has established herself as a good team builder and big fundraiser. It is difficult to take on incumbents and her team worked very hard. Let's take that energy and turn out a record Democratic vote in November.

Mostly I thank Mike and Pat for a hard fought, but cordial campaign. The four forums were about issues and not personal and I appreciate the lack of drama and attacks. Mike and Pat had many wonderful campaign volunteers and supporters and I thank all of them for being so active and engaged.
I wouldn't be here without the support of my spouse, Robin Butler, and my mother, Linda Rettig. They hit over 4,100 doors and worked so hard at events. They never signed up or had the bug for politics or public office, but they have always helped me with my passion.

I thank all of my supporters and organized labor for believing in me and trusting me. I am overwhelmed by all the kindness I have received in the recent weeks.

To our dog, CJ. Thank you for putting up with us. Your #Dogs4Rettig spreading into every animal and kid 4 Rettig clearly made the difference. We promise to throw more balls and frisbees to make up for lost time.
Thanks to the Auditor Travis Weipert, his staff and all the election workers. I don't know how they pulled off an unprecedented election turnout without trouble, but thank you all.
I'm missing my Father, Robin's Mom and her Father tonight. I know they would have loved tonight. May they rest in peace.

Congratulations to everyone that ran for office in this Primary. It isn't easy to put yourself out there and run. If this wasn't your day, please don't go away. We need you and there will likely be other seats that need you.

"You won the Democratic Primary, Janelle, so now what are you going to do?" I'm not going to Disney World....I'm going to the World Series of Poker and play Event #21. Wish me good cards and the ability to stay awake.
Thank you all. I know we can make Johnson County a even more caring and wonderful place to live, work and play. We all need to rest and then get ready for a huge, liberal progressive victory in November. It won't be easy, but Iowa, the United States and actually the world need us.

#united for a #bluewave  because #electionsmatter

No comments:

Post a Comment